Emphasizing evidence-based research and clinical competencies, Dental Hygiene: Theory and Practice, 4th Edition, provides easy-to-understand coverage of the dental hygienist’s roles and responsibilities in today’s practice. It offers a clear approach to science and theory, a step-by-step guide to core dental hygiene procedures, and realistic scenarios to help you develop skills in decision-making. New chapters and content focus on evidence-based practice, palliative care, professional issues, and the electronic health record. Written by Michele Leonardi Darby, Margaret M. Walsh, and a veritable Who’s Who of expert contributors, Dental Hygiene follows the Human Needs Conceptual Model with a focus on client-centered care that takes the entire person into consideration.
- UNIQUE! Human Needs Conceptual Model framework follows Maslow’s human needs theory, helping hygienists treat the whole patient ― not just specific diseases.
- Comprehensive coverage addresses the need-to-know issues in dental hygiene ― from the rationale behind the need for dental hygiene care through assessment, diagnosis, care planning, implementation, pain and anxiety control, the care of individuals with special needs, and practice management.
- Step-by-step procedure boxes list the equipment required and the steps involved in performing key procedures. Rationales for the steps are provided in printable PDFs online.
- Critical Thinking exercises and Scenario boxes encourage application and problem solving, and help prepare students for the case-based portion of the NBDHE.
- Client Education boxes list teaching points that the dental hygienist may use to educate clients on at-home daily oral health care.
- High-quality and robust art program includes full-color illustrations and clinical photographs as well as radiographs to show anatomy, complex clinical procedures, and modern equipment.
- Legal, Ethical, and Safety Issues boxes address issues related to risk prevention and management.
- Expert authors Michele Darby and Margaret Walsh lead a team of international contributors consisting of leading dental hygiene instructors, researchers, and practitioners.
- NEW chapters on evidence-based practice, the development of a professional portfolio, and palliative care provide research-based findings and practical application of topics of interest in modern dental hygiene care.
- NEW content addresses the latest research and best practices in attaining clinical competency, including nutrition and community health guidelines, nonsurgical periodontal therapy, digital imaging, local anesthesia administration, pharmacology, infection control, and the use of the electronic health record (EHR) within dental hygiene practice.
- NEW photographs and illustrations show new guidelines and equipment, as well as emerging issues and trends.
- NEW! Companion product includes more than 50 dental hygiene procedures videos in areas such as periodontal instrumentation, local anesthesia administration, dental materials manipulation, common preventive care, and more. Sold separately.